Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Windows 10 Servicing via SCCM 1511, Error 0x8007007E

Gotcha!!! If you are like me, missed the prerequisites KB 3095113 of WSUS to support Windows 10 Upgrade/Servicing on your SCCM WSUS server, and you have already sync-ed and downloaded the Upgrade in your SCCM.

If you are having certificate error while downloading the upgrade with SCCM 1511, please look at this hotfix, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3127032.

If your download is always showing 0% while downloading the Upgrade, no fear, check the Ethernet status in the Task Manage Performance tab or you can monitor the status in patchdownloader.log located in %temp% with cmtrace.

Back to the topic, I’ve already sync-ed and downloaded the “Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume” and “Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume” in the SCCM 1511 and then manually deploy it to my Windows 10 Collection.

My Windows 10 client received and downloaded the Upgrade in C:\ccmcache but failed to install with error code 0x8007007E.

image

image

I’ve tried a lot of troubleshooting and find out that I’m actually missing a very important update for the WSUS to support Windows 10 Feature Update, KB 3095113. This doesn’t work so smooth by just applying the update. Below is the steps I taken to fix the issue.

On my SCCM Server:

  1. Install the prerequisites of the KB 3095113. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919442 followed by https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355
  2. Install KB 3095113
  3. Uninstall SCCM SUP
  4. Uninstall WSUS Server role
  5. Delete WSUS DB, and D:\WSUS
  6. Reboot OS
  7. Reinstall WSUS Server Role
  8. Install SCCM SUP
  9. Manual trigger Sync Software Update

On my test client:

  1. Stopped the services below
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop cryptSvc
    • net stop bits
    • net stop msiserver
  2. Delete C:\Windows\Software Distribution
  3. Delete C:\Windows\System32\catroot2
  4. Delete the folder contain the .esd downloaded in ccmcache folder
  5. Delete C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources
  6. Reboot the OS
  7. Trigger the upgrade from Software Center

I tried not to uninstall the WSUS and SUP after installed the updates in the SCCM server, but it doesn’t works, I’m still getting the same error code 0x8007007E.

Note: I’m performing this in my lab environment, use this fix at you own risk

Regards,
Hau

1 comment:

  1. here could be a easier way

    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/01/29/how-to-delete-upgrades-in-wsus/

    ReplyDelete